Sunday, February 13, 2011

Even my knight is a dirt bag....

So I am currently reading NEON ANGEL the book written by Cherie Currie the singer of the 70's all girl teen band the Runaways...I have found it quite engaging - it even made me tear up at the bus stop one morning for gawds sake reading about the day her 2 parent family fell apart...it is quite easy to relate to and read...her candid nature is similar to mine so I am laughing a lot at her stories...

I am reading this one part where she recounts how her scummy manager Kim Fowley introduces her to this un-named pop star of the 70's and makes it fairly clear she is going back to his house after the show and how much great press it will be b/c he's all over the place at the moment...she thinks he is good looking but hes a cheese ball and he kinda creeps her out b/c he is so intensely DIGGING her etc...she tells about going to his place against her better judgment - she has her period and Mr. Popstar knows this and says he sure doesn't mind...which mortifies her that he and Kim Fowley have discussed her menstrual condition prior to Kim pimping her out basically...the only other time she has had sex was when her sisters ex boyfriend raped her so she isn't exactly loving this situation...

I near shit myself as she describes his bedroom...bed perfectly made, white satin sheets, pictures of HIMSELF on the walls (yes seriously this made me die laughing) - she comments about :how gay" this makes him and asks what kind of man has white satin sheets? bahahahahaha ok so anyhow...they have sex...she is mortified at the "mess", says it looks like a rabbit was killed down there...mortification continues until she finally gets outta there...KEEP IN MIND SHE IS 15 and hes 10 YRS OLDER. She - whether willing or not - is taken advantage of...sure it was a different time whatever but it is still gross...so I decide I wanna know who this creep is....I am a little scared its my beloved Rick Springfield b/c I just read his book and know that in the mid 70s he was popular in the LA area, he had long dark feathered hair, dark eyes and still spoke with his Australian accent...so I go googling....and sure fucking enough...Rick fucking Springfield...Even keeping in mind the mindset of the time...he lived with Linda Blair who was 16 and he was also 10 yrs her senior...with her mothers permission....uhhhhh wtf...? the mid 70's were clearly gross.

Anyway...so now I am grappling with the fact that my Ricky, my love since grade 6, is essentially a statutory rapist pedophile.... :o(  Having just read his book I was well aware of his dirt bagness...but JFC...I have never understood how men rationalize behavior like that...I never will...I have since googled up a storm and found there are contradictory stories to this story...other band members saying CC was actually willing (and that she did not go alone as she claims she did) and not the hesitant victim she portrays herself to be in the book - but either way...she was 15 and unsupervised and doing drugs galore and as far as I am concerned  was taken advantage of....shame on you Rick Springfield...shame.

9 comments:

Adele said...

EW...TWISTED!!! That's kinda like finding out a huge secret of a family member after they die!!!

Anonymous said...

http://runawaysstories.blogspot.com/2009/08/october-20-2000-truth-shall-set-you.html

Seems Ms Currie's memory isn't always correct.

Conky said...

I have read this before - thank you...either way...the age difference really grosses me out...

Anonymous said...

That is truely terrible what she went through. I am reading Neon Angel and just got to that part. I was so worried it was Davy Jones. Thank God it was not!

snobographer said...

Rick Springfield "dated" Linda Blair when she was 13 and he was 23. He is a creepy statutory rapist. Sorry.

Conky said...

I agree....pretty gross....despite it being a different time it is still EW.

Anonymous said...

Yup...read Jackie Fox's blog...itls allegedly your beloved Rick Springfield

Anonymous said...

Davey Jones allegedly messedvaround with Marcia Brady. Rick was allegedly Cherie.

Anonymous said...

Yup... Really gross. Read Jackie Fox's blog....