Wednesday, November 30, 2011

And so it was. Stellar. Lunar. Spectacular.

Having seen Matthew Good about 10x now in my life I can say rather assuredly that last night was his BEST full band performance to date. Not gunna lie...the last 2 tours were not my faves despite LOVING the albums that came out those years. Venue is everything of course...a stink ass hot curling rink midsummer does not make a fun concert experience...and then last year the venue was ok but balcony seating proved to be ‘not my favourite’ along with the fact MG was not really convincing anyone he wanted to be there...these things happen. It is real life...people have issues going on that make them distracted or they don’t feel all that great...I accept this...but the last 2 tours just made this one all the more amazing and impressive.

1st of all this band is great. I love the keyboard/piano presence on a lot of the new album, it worked well live...plus the keyboard guy Anthony Wright and guitarist Jimmy Reid were SO kick ass...a real pleasure to watch and hear actually. I particularly loved so much piano live...this new album translated 100x better live than I could have imagined...every song off the new album was fantastic live...not to mention that the 1st song of the night was my all time favourite song of the universe and beyond While We Were Hunting Rabbits...I got misty. I did and that was way better than the sobbing shit fit I would have had post-show if he didn’t play it. I don’t usually get uptight about what’s played...I am happy to just get what I get but when I heard he was playing Rabbits across Canada on the way here I was a little worried he would skip it here and break my heart forever. He ended the show with Set Me On Fire which is my favourite off his new record so it was a complete package of awesomeness!

Not sure I am in love with FRONT ROW though...felt kind of EXPOSED up there...and it makes you a target for the shit eating event staff who hassle you thinking you are taking video when you are not...etc. I don’t think I will go for 1st row again...

So...it was a grand night spent with Adrienne...who loved it as much as I did and swooned afterwards all the way home with me...got myself a new MG scarf to go with the one I got last tour...this time black and red...if only I was ever cold....ha!
You can now look fwd to me shutting up about MG for a while... and after Tori Amos Dec 13 I am gunna take a MUSICAL break...I am feeling a little tapped out from all the shows...

3 comments:

Barbara Bruederlin said...

Man, I wish I was there with you! It sounds like an amazing show. Glad you cried in a good way.

LiVEwiRe said...

I think I would have had the same reaction to Rabbits. Perhaps I will have the chance to in March. Like you, I don't get worked up over what is/isn't played ~ I just take in each show for what it is.

Conky said...

Barb - so good...fml.

LiVEwiRe - oh I hope he plays it for you on the US tour...fingers crossed 4u...it was amazing...pitch black through the whole song...no lights at all...