Saturday, December 17, 2011

busy busy busy

Been a whirlwind of activity in Jen's world lately....

I hit the road (I am such a divine traveler) and went to Vancouver last Saturday...I spent 3 days with Tere which I had some anxiety about. I knew her house would be full of Taylor's things and pictures and also...Tere is obviously the walking wounded...I wasn't sure what was going to transpire...It was comforting to be surrounded by Taylor...and hear stories about him all weekend...it truly was. Against my better judgement I let Tere take me to his apartment where he died, outside - to see the memorial left there...it popped a cork I was not able to re-cork...after that I couldn't even look at his pictures without losing my shit...it is absolutely terrifying to be sitting across from a person who at that very moment is living your absolute worst nightmare, paralleling your life circumstances (single parent, an only child)...it is heartbreaking and the scariest shit I have ever seen...
In between my mindfuckery...we played scrabble...we watched terrible tv, talked, walked, fed bunnies at Jericho Beach, visited her sister, thrift stored and went to Bingo.

BINGO! That was funny...neither of us have played in about 1000 yrs so it was like walking into a whorehouse a virgin...ppl with this giant jade elephants beside them 4 good luck...playing 38745983758 cards while we struggled to keep up with the minimum of 3. hahaha We didn't win shit all (I blame the mumbling Asian bingo caller) but man we had FUN...sounds weird but it was really fun with Tere. Sounds like a new ritual to me!

Feeding the bunnies was a hoot...so many...and they are so tame. Tere's chihuahua 'Flea' is really entertaining and was a constant source of amusement for me...cutest & most neurotic dog I have ever met...

Tuesday I met up with Deanna and we had a fantastic day on Granville Street and downtown Vancouver...walking, eating and shopping until it was time to go to Tori Amos @ the Orpheum...turns out I had never been inside the Orpheum (I guess I was mixing it up with the Vogue Theatre)...once you see the Orpheum you don't forget it b/c it is truly beautiful....it makes the Royal Theatre here in Victoria look welfare...
I scored some kick ass records on my travels...the gem being my 1st record ever in grade 5 when I lived in Shaunavon, SK.......Pat Benatar's IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT....which I still love...this was a big deal...moving up from 8 Tracks to vinyl....that little plastic, red Melody Maker record played I got for xmas the year before was THE best gift I have ever been given in all my life...the solace and joy that thing gave me until I was 18 and graduated to a real stereo (thanks Pam!) is indescribable....which is why I am enjoying finding all these old records...

Xmas Eve...Sprog and I are having ppl over...Donna, Amanda, Erin, Alex and Kelsey....for food and old record playing! I have scored some gooders so far...Johnny Cash, Crystal Gayle...an old 80's K-Tel  CHART ATTACK record (hahaha) - and lots of 80's stuff (The GoGo's, etc) - it is gunna be a hoot.

Ayla did ok in my absence...she was sick most of the time and when I got home she seemed really happy to see me...exclaiming that it is hard to keep a house clean when you cook every day (no kidding!) but I was glad she did what I told her and cleaned as she went rather than leaving it all til the day I come home and shitting bricks trying to get the pig sty in order...I think she missed me a little...she has been really nice all week. haha

Eye Dr appt yesterday...ugh - Sprog-Grrl needs glasses so we went and got her a pair that will be ready next week (it was a 50% off sale so it was kinda perfect....)...I wanted to get her a pair from a store 1st like I did....then any other glasses after are coming from Zenni Optical for 30 bucks a pair or less...with this pair she will know what size works for her exactly so ordering is a lot easier...I am a little miffed the eye Dr doesn't give out your PD anymore without a 25.00 fee...assholes. Then Lenscrafters tries to tell you the PD they are giving you can't be used to order online b/c it is different with each pair of glasses.......I really cannot stand the whole money grubbing process...it makes me so irritated when ppl are trying to sell me something...or feeding me bullshit...the only comfort I got out of it was A. got a really nice pair of 800.00 glasses for 400.00...I get 250 back so that's better than a kick in the vag for sure.

Was Tracey's b'day yesterday so we hit a movie then shopped and hung out...was good despite my migraine that would not die yesterday...by about 7 pm it was finally gone but I was dead...I fell asleep before 10 pm and slept 8 hours which is rather odd for me.
Was nice to spend the day with Tracey though... :o)

Today I am cleaning my house...Prince is in town tonight...hope Alex feels a little better and can go and enjoy it for a few hours...she is in the middle of a shitty flu @ the moment....not good...
I am done with concerts for a while...this years been nuts...Sam Roberts, Matt Good, Liam Finn, Tori Amos...just in the mast 3 mths....ffs - I am not rich enough for that shit...time for a good healthy break...get Ayla ready for Cancun and grad...and I can get used to my new life without child tax credit. ARGG!!! Rude.

No comments: