Sunday, April 26, 2009

poor jews

Ayla & I watched THE BOY IN THE STRIPED PAJAMAS tonight....1st off...while the story was really touching and maddening and the acting fine i hated all the Germans in the movie with British accents...WTF!!! I hadn't read the write up so i didn't know the details of the story so im wondering the 1st 10 mins why a British man is German soldier...it was like Valkyrie all over again...fuckers. Millions of dollars to make these movies and they cant even bother with a German accept...fuck you all. Anyway...it still is worth watching...more so than Valkyrie that's 4 sure.

Yesterday Arika & I went and saw HUNGER...about Irishman Bobby Sands and his prison hunger strike. If you aren’t familiar with Bobby Sands at all, in a nutshell, he was imprisoned for his involvement in IRA (Irish Republican Army) violence and was the 1st of 10 to die after his 66-day hunger strike.

It is a gut wrenching account of the standoff between the British government and IRA prisoners trying to be classified as political prisoners rather than criminals. The powerful scene between Bobby Sands and Father Dominic Moran is flawless. It is about 10 mins long, looks like one take, starts out as humorous banter and gets extremely intense. By the end of it you fully understand who Bobby Sands is and why is he motivated to take such drastic measures for his cause. This is not an uplifting movie; it is ridden with disturbing images, mainly human against human. Walked out of that one feeling like a fucking whiny bitch for waking up irritated.

The Cab Driver Story:

{Arika & I catch a cab yesterday b/c I needed to get my 5 tonnes of kitty litter home aka 5 tonnes = 2 boxes}

Cabbie: wow that is a lot of baking soda.

(he is NOT joking, he is dead fucking serious thinking these 35 lb boxes with cats on the side of them are baking soda- I guess I should be impressed he can read)

Arika: ummm it's kitty litter actually.

Cabbie: ohhhhh I didn't know it came with baking soda...

(meanwhile im pissing myself listening to this)

Arika: most kitty litter has baking soda....for the odor.

Cabbie: wow, that is smart. My cat is stinky.

Jen: sneaky?

Cabbie: no...stinky.

Jen: ----silence ----

(HAD NO IDEA WTF TO SAY AT THIS POINT I CANT EVEN LOOK IN ARIKAS DIRECTION OF I WILL BE HYSTERICAL)

No comments: